What is KuhVision?
In order to find out which animals bring the lowest costs, best profit and highest breeding progress for your farm in the long run, quickly traceable and preferably exact information on the entire herd are necessary.
This information is provided by KuhVision!
This project enables the development of new genomic breeding values for health traits like for example hoof health and Mastitis resistance. At the same time, genetic testing offers new chances for future-orientated herd management of farms. 467,000 (vit May 2020) female animals were already genotyped so far. Genomic breeding values for all traits in Germany are based on a mixed reference sample of 42,000 bulls and 200,000 cows.
After testing is done you will receive for every animal genomic breeding values and information respectively on production transmission to be expected, genetic traits or inheritable health indices like udder health, longevity, fertility, milkability, calving ease, polled status and genetic defects as well as genetic traits.
Genomic breeding values enable optimal mating in which also genetic traits, functional traits, milk traits as well as linear profile can be considered besides all partial and overall breeding values. With this, decisions can be made regarding which cows are especially suitable to be mated with a beef breed or mated using sexed semen or embryo transfer. There is reliable information on the male and female side for well-founded selection and mating decisions. The maximum of breeding progress can be achieved while reducing rearing costs at the same time. (source: vit)
As the first country Germany has published a complete set of breeding values for all major diseases, such as Mastitis, reproduction, metabolism disorders, hoof health including Dermatitis Digitalis. Even though heritabilities of these health traits are low or medium (between 0.03 and 0.12), analysis shows a clear genetic correlation between the genomic breeding value and the ratio of incidences. This means one can significantly influence the frequency of these diseases by using the health breeding values.The following two examples show the incidence rate of Mastitis and Mortellaro (Dermatitis Digitalis) in relation to the breeding values RZudderfit respectively DDcontrol.
- Complete traditional breeding values
- Complete health breeding values
- Complete linear
- Automatic parentage control
- Genetic defects HH1-HH6, CDH, BLAD, BY, CVM
- Kappa Casein, Beta Casein, Polled status
- Access to NetrindGenom to manage your genomic herd online
- Selection of your animals
- Plan your replacement
- Create your own farm index and align your
- breeding goals to your needs
- Monitor your breeding progress
- Compare yourself with others
Listed below we have summarized the steps for the genotyping of your herd.
- GGI-SPERMEX will register your farm with the German data center VIT, which will calculate
the breeding values. For this purpose, we need your name, the complete address and the
email address of your farm. Your data is treated strictly confidential and will only be used
in the extent necessary for genotyping.
- After the registration you will receive your personal VIT farm ID number from
- You choose your group of animals to be genotyped. The list containing the data of animals
selected needs to be sent to GGI-SPERMEX Germany via the GGI-SPERMEX partner in your
country. To process your request the following data of each animal is necessary: Your VIT
farm ID number, animal identification (ear tag number), birth date, breed, and identification
of sire, dam and dam’s sire. Data can be sent as an Interbull 200 or CSV (Excel) file. (Further
detailed information on the data and its format can be obtained from the additional Excel
- After receipt of the list, individual ear tags will be produced for your farm. Each of them
has the identification number of one particular animal printed on it.
- GGI-SPERMEX will send the sampling tags to the GGI-SPERMEX partner.
- The selected animals need to be tagged. Doing so you have to assign the ear tags to the
animals with the help of the identification number. When tagging the animals, a tissue
sample is automatically taken from the ear. The tube containing the tissue sample can be
assigned to the respective animal due to the printed ear tag number.
- Send the ear tissue samples directly to our laboratory IFN Schönow e.V. in Germany.
- When the laboratory has processed the samples, VIT will calculate the breeding values for
- You will receive your own access to the web portal “Netrindgenom”. Here you can see the
breeding values individually for each animal or as a complete list for your entire herd.
Also there are many more functions available, like monitoring your breeding progress or
comparing your herd with the other Kuhvision farms.
- Using the bull mating program (“GenomBAP”) and the genomic results, specific matings
for every animal on RZG basis are available through your local GGI-SPERMEX partner.